Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Taking on New York City


Well with all the formalities out of the way with my first post, I'd like to write about my recent trip to New York City! Well as I said my husband travels for work alot and has alot of free flyer miles. I decided to get over my HUGE fear of flying and go where I always wanted to go.... NYC! The plane trip there wasn't to bad, but I must admit I almost cried taking off. I'm such a baby! I couldn't believe my eyes as I noticed all the traffic and people! I live near New Orleans, so I wasn't expecting to be stunned by a big city. Boy was I wrong! Lets just say the worst places I ever drove was Huston and New Orleans. NYC makes that look like a peice of cake! I'm glad we were in a cab! I wouldn't dare tempt my fate!

Well the cab ended up taking us to the wrong hotel and we ended up having to walk 6 blocks to our hotel. It wasn't that bad just embarassing to be dragging luggage behind us lol. Our room was right in the center of it all in Times Square! It was a true blessing to even be here! The lights were amazing and the people were really nice! I always wanted to go the museums, see a show on Broadway, and see the Statue of Liberty. So that was a must do while we were there. Our first night was on Tuesday so it wasn't so busy around the streets. We had lots of opprotunity to take good pictures of everything and take in the view without being in the way.

Our second day was filled with museums. Lots of them! As we learned to navigate the city things became much easier for us. We even enjoyed a hot dog from a street vender! And it was good! We seen art work from Picasso and many other famous artist that I had studied in classes. It was a privilage to view them in person. We mostly walked where we needed to go. It seemed faster that way because the cabs were kinda slow and honking at everyone. We then discovered the wonderful subway stations! I always wanted to go on one! Silly? I guess, but it was still fun. I've only been on a short shuttle ride before at the Atlanta airport so this was an adventure for me. I fell over on people a couple of times, but it was funny and they were nice about it. We decided to see Marry Poppins on Broadway. I LOVED the movie as a child and my hubby never seen it before. So it was a great opprotunity to bring back childhood memories and to introduce my hubby to a great story. The show was fantastic! The cast was full of energy and didn't miss a beat. It was truely something I will always remember!

The third day we were so sore! We really then began to utalize the subway. We were going to see the Statue of Liberty! It was an amazing experience to see her up close and in person. I was surprized at how many people were there from other countries to check out the statue. We were not able to go in, but we walked around for about an hour taking pictures and .... feeding the birds. OOps! Didn't see the "Do not feed birds" sign. LOL! We then went to see the Empire State Building. WOW what a view. It was windy and freezing, but you couldn't help but catch a glipse of the city from 102 stories high!

Day 4 we were heading back home. Again I was scared of flying! We decided to take a couple hours to wonder the streets one last time. We came across all the street venders as before, except this time we decided to get our picture drawn. We sat in the freezing cold as they sketched away. Finally after about 15 minutes they showed us our picture. Who they drew, I have no idea. It looked nothing like us! It was still all fun and games though and we paid them and went on our marry way. We began to head back to our hotel and came across the firestation that was right down from our room. At night that was all we heard, but it seemed really slow and closed up during the day. On this day though the firemen were out and had the gate open. I made a joke to my hubby about taking a picture with them. He took me seriously and before I turned around to see where he went, my hubby was asking the really hot firemen to take a picture with me. I must say I was like a shy school girl and was totally embarassed. I couldn't say much but one worded sentances! What a hubby huh? To let me do that without hesitation. He's so silly sometimes!

So here I am home again. It is quite here and what seemed to be "humble" and at times boring now seems like a dream.... for a few days at least. Leaving such a big busy city makes me thankful for the quite time I do have. I loved NYC, but I'm glad to home to!

1 comment:

  1. at least you got to see nyc right lol and now your home!

    ReplyDelete